Thursday, November 01, 2007

Movember

Having turned the blog Pink for October, I'm now growing a mo' for Movember.

During Movember (the month formerly known as November) I'll be growin a Mo. I've shaved off my goatee as you can see here. This will be interesting, because the kids have only ever seen me with facial hair! That's right I'm bringing the Mo back because I'm passionate about men's health and the fight against prostate cancer. Why...

Every year in Australia 18,700 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer and about 2,900 die of the disease, making prostate cancer the second largest cause of male cancer deaths, after lung cancer.

The average life expectancy of a man in Australia is 5 years less than a woman (currently 78 compared to 83).

Men access health services 30-40% less than women, thereby denying themselves the chance for prevention and early detection of common diseases.

As you can see, there are plenty of reasons why we need to make the community aware of Men's heath issues.

To sponsor my Mo please go to http://www.movember.com/nz/donate, enter my registration number which is 109799 and your credit card details. All donations over $5 are tax deductible.

All donations are made directly to the Prostate Cancer Foundation of New Zealand who will use the funds to create awareness, increase support networks for those men who suffer from prostate cancer, fund research and scholarship programs. (I'm doing this for NZ since I work for an NZ company and we have a company Mo team!)

For those that have supported Movember in previous years you can be very proud of the impact it has had.

Thanks for your support

Michael

No comments: